- Not started
Our streets are home to many tree varieties, but we have large numbers of a few species. These include:
- Pin Oak (Quercus palustris)
- Plane trees (Platanus species and cultivars)
- Brush Box (Lophostemon confertus)
Having increased diversity makes our tree population more resilient, for example in case a particular pest targets a species. To increase diversity, we consider:
- Suitability for the street and space available
- Street character and community views
- Current climate and climate predictions
- Wildlife and habitat value
We are also participating in a Melbourne wide trial which will see us planting new species in 2024, to broaden our species palette.
To increase tree planting we are reviewing vacant sites in streets and incorporating additional planting into new streetscape projects and works.
What has been done?
700 street trees planted
700 street trees were planted and renewed over the 2021/22 Financial Year. The project was delayed due to impacts of covid.